Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Tour of Marymount Manhattan College with Historic Photographs: Welcome!

This guide provides a carousel of images and text describing the development of MMC's campus
Marymount Manhattan College, 1949

Marymount Manhattan College's first building was 221 East 71st Street, purchased in 1948 from the Junior League, which had erected the building in 1930 as a clubhouse.

Couple posing in the Black-and-White, undated

The Black-and-White was initially the lobby of the building.

Griffy viewing art in the Black-and-White 2018

In 1961, the entrance moved to the western end of the building, and in 2004 the Black-and-White was incorporated into a ground-floor art gallery.

Judith and Russ Carson, 2015

In 2016, Marymount Manhattan College named its main building in honor of alumna Judith Carson and her husband Russ.

Father-Daughter Party in MMC's Great Hall February 5, 1953

When MMC first came to 71st Street, the "Great Hall" was a ballroom with a raised platform, suitable for lectures, dances . . .

Great Hall 1966

. . . and commencements. This commencement was in 1966.

Griffy checking ballet position before mirror in Great Hall

The stage is behind the mirror here, and the Great Hall is now a place for teaching dance rather than social dancing.

Joseph C. Nugent, Coretta Scott King, Colette Mahoney, Terence Cardinal Cooke in 1969

MMC's photogenic staircase in 1969, with trustee Joseph C. Nugent, honorary degree recipient Coretta Scott King, President Colette Mahoney, RSHM, & Terence Cardinal Cooke.

staircase 2021

The staircase is still elegant enough for photo shoots, and also a convenient place to stash coats and bags.

Mezzanine, now the Regina Peruggi Room, 1950

MMC kept the Junior League's second-floor parlor, initially called "the Mezzanine."

Regina S. Peruggi Room

President Judson Shaver and his wife Page oversaw Mezzanine redecoration in the early 2000s.

Portrait of Regina S. Peruggi

On September 30, 2003, MMC named "the Mezzanine" in honor of its sixth president, Regina S. Peruggi.

MMC's pre-1974 library

MMC initially also kept the Junior League's third-floor library. Today, this is the president's office, the woodwork still intact.

MMC Juniors receive their class rings in the chapel, 1950

The south side of the fourth floor, overlooking 71st Street, used to be taken up by a chapel, seen here in 1950. Today the area is divided between the interfaith center and the computer lab.

multifaith center in 2021

Under President Judson Shaver, the chapel became a multi-faith center. It was renovated in 2021.

MMC swimming pool

Perhaps the most dramatic change came in 2003, when MMC drained the 8th-floor swimming pool to make way for eighth-floor offices and art studios and seventh-floor labs.

Eighth floor of Carson Building, 2005

The eighth floor was divided in half. Academic Affairs and Student Affairs moved to the northern side of the floor. The southern floor was turned into one large space to prepare for the creation of art studios.

Eighth floor of Carson Building 2021

By 2021 the Art Department was well developed. This is one of the studios for drawing and painting.

Judith Carson

In 2021 Marymount Manhattan College announced a gift from alumna Judith Carson for the creation of visual arts center.

Student observing speech-pathology treatment via closed-circuit television and headphones.

On the renovated seventh floor is the Ruth Smadbeck Communications and Learning Center, where beginning students can observe more advanced students practice their clinical skills under the supervisor of speech-pathology faculty.

Ruth Smadbeck receiving an honorary degree from MMC in 1983

Ruth Smadbeck spent a lifetime serving New York City's Hecksher Foundation, which supports children's health services and provided young people with recreation and opportunities to participate in the arts.

1961 photo of townhouse that stood between Colonial Dames and Marymount Manhattan College buildings

In 1961, MMC purchased the townhouse that stood between 221 East 71st and the Colonial Dames headquarters to the west.

Marymount Manhattan College entrance

MMC demolished the townhouse and extended its 71st Street building west. This is where the main entrance to MMC has been ever since.

aerial view of townhouses that were along 72nd Street where MMC's Nugent Building was later built.

During the 1960s MMC acquired a row of townhouses behind its 71st Street Building, facing East 72nd Street.

aerial view of 1972 commencement in lot where Nugent Building was erected.

In 1972 MMC demolished the townhouses and held its first and so far only outdoor commencement.

Joseph C. Nugent, Sr., speaking at the dedication of the building named for him.

On October 24, 1974, MMC opened its Nugent Building, named for long-time Chair of the Board of Trustees Joseph C. Nugent, seen here on the podium that day.

J. William Bordeau Black Box Theatre 2021

In the basement of the Nugent Building is the William J. Bordeau Black Box Theatre.

Bill Bordeau crouching on stage in Great Hall directing two female actors, 1972

The theatre is named for the late Professor Bordeau, seen here on the far right coaching students on the stage in the Great Hall in the 1970s. He went on to develop both MMC's theatre and its theatre program.

Two visitors studying a painting at MMC Art Gallery's opening night in 1985

Since at least 1985, MMC has used the corridor leading from the 71st Street entrance into the Nugent Building as an art gallery.

Carl and Marsha Hewitt at opening of gallery they donated, November 18, 2004

On November 18, 2004, MMC opened its Hewitt Art Gallery, named for alumna and donor Marsha Hewitt and her husband Carl, seen here on opening night.

Photo taken from back of theatre showing audience and beyond them a crowd sitting on a stage.

MMC opened its theatre February 19, 1975, with honorary degrees for Metropolitan Opera prima donna Licia Albanese Gimma and musician and music patron Marta Angelica Montanez Martinez Casals.

Scene from

In May 1975 MMC mounted its first performance, "Waiting for Godot." Through the 1990s, MMC rented the theatre to performing artists, but by the 2000s, the college kept the space occupied with its own lecturers and performances.

Theresa and Eugene Lang, January 29, 2001, at reception before the dedication of the Theresa Lang Theatre.

On January 29, 2001, MMC named its theatre in honor of alumna, trustee, and donor Theresa Lang, seen here with her husband Eugene that evening.

Students in Nugent Lounge in 1976

Near the 72nd Street side of the Nugent Building's first floor is the Nugent Lounge, which looked like this when it opened.

Constance Nugent McQuade

The Nugent Lounge is named for alumna, trustee, and donor Constance Nugent McQuade, daughter of Joseph C. Nugent

Nugent Lounge 2021

The addition of a coffee shop is a useful for students fueling up for long classes and study periods.

George Plimpton speaking to an audience.

MMC library opened December 14, 1974, with author and "Paris Review" editor George Plimpton as speaker.

Enid George, Circulation Manager, 1974

This is what the library looked like when it first opened, with Mrs. Enid George as Circulation Manager.

library 2021

This is what the library looks like in 2021, as the librarians reduce the library footprint to make way for the art studios to move in during the construction of the visual arts center and other offices move in for longer terms.

Profgessor Gurcharan Singh lecturing in Nugent, 1996.

This is what the Nugent classroom looked like originally. That's the late Professor Gurcharan Singh teaching international studies in 1996.

classroom 2021

A classroom in 2021

During the 2010s, MMC outfitted several fourth-floor Nugent classrooms for specific purposes. This is a dance studio.

Theatre class on 4th floor of Nugent 2021

A fourth-floor Nugent classroom outfitted for theatre, 2021

Lang Center for Producing Dedication 1998

In 1998, the fifth floor became the Lang Center for Producing, with Eugene and Teresa Lang at the dedication.

Griffy using camera in fifth-floor production room

The fifth-floor equipment has been upgraded repeatedly to give students experience with producing and editing audio and video.

Outdoor ribbon-cutting ceremony with five people.

On September 8, 2008, MMC celebrated a new connection between its buildings with the dedication of the Lowerre Family Terrance. Alumni and donor Paul Lowerre is in the back of the group, with trustee Judith Carson, President Jud Shaver and the Lowerre fam

drawing of MMC's building, colored red, against background of blackl-and-white skyscrapers

MMC added its 55th Street dorm in 2001 and purchased its faculty townhouse in 2010, but 221 East 71st Street, seen in this sketch used on college promotional material in the 1980s, remains its heart and home.